For Immediate Release
December 2, 2016
- The 10 scholarships are worth more than $8,500 each, and cover tuition and other specified fees for 60 lower division credit hours at one of the 28 State Colleges in Florida.
- The annual scholarship program is part of the Florida Prepaid College Foundation’s ongoing commitment to increase awareness about the importance of saving for college and the strong educational options available through our 28 State Colleges and 12 Universities.
- The 2-Year Florida College Plan offers the opportunity to earn an associate’s degree or trade certification in any number of fields, and serves as a springboard to further education. A student earning an associate’s degree at any Florida College is guaranteed admission to a State University.
- The 2016-17 Open Enrollment period runs Oct. 15, 2016 through Feb. 28, 2017. Newborn plans start at $47 per month.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Florida Prepaid College Foundation has awarded 10 families a 2-Year Florida College Plan scholarship, demonstrating its ongoing commitment to opening affordable pathways to college. The scholarship program is also part of the Board’s efforts to educate families about the budget-friendly Prepaid Plan options available during Open Enrollment.
The winners entered the Florida Prepaid Scholarship Program at www.floridaprepaidscholarshipprogram.com and were selected at random from among more than 47,000 entrants. Each plan is valued at more than $8,500.
“What a pleasure it is to give these 10 winning families the gift of education,” said Board Chairman John Rood. “The state colleges are a starting point for more and more post-secondary students, and our college-based plans offer Floridians an affordable way to save for college education.”
Currently, over half of junior and senior students at state universities transferred from the Florida College System.
Open Enrollment is the only time each year when families can purchase one of the Florida Prepaid College Board’s five prepaid tuition plans and prepaid dormitory plans.
This year, families can purchase newborn plans for a 2 + 2 Florida Plan for as low as $147 a month, a 4-Year Florida College Plan for less than $117 a month, and a 2-Year Florida College Plan starting at $54 a month.
The winners of this year’s Florida Prepaid Scholarship Program are:
- Lusette D. Lilley of Port St. Lucie
- Jessica R. Herzog of St. Augustine
- Lauren J. Palmisano of Tampa
- Adam Brooks of Lutz
- Timothy M. Luba of Wesley Chapel
- Jennifer L. Burke of Sarasota
- Daniel J. Kerness of Cooper City
- Angie M. Morante of Hallandale
- John T. Sceals of Mount Dora
- Theresa Bailey of St. Augustine
Each week during the program, there were also 10 secondary prize winners selected to receive a prize package that included a Florida Prepaid t-shirt, water bottle and a $25 Visa gift card.
Prepaid Plans are available for purchase during Open Enrollment, which runs October 15, 2016 – February 28, 2017. For more information, visit www.myfloridaprepaid.com.
About the Florida Prepaid College Board
The Florida Prepaid College Board manages the Stanley G. Tate Florida Prepaid College Program and the Florida 529 Savings Plan. Both are tax-favored 529 college savings plans authorized by Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code. In 1987 the Florida Prepaid College Program was created by the Florida Legislature and the commitment and dedication of Mr. Stanley G. Tate to provide Florida families with an affordable means to save for their children’s future college education. The first Florida Prepaid College Plans were sold in 1988, and were augmented with the addition of the Florida 529 Savings Plan in 2002. Florida Prepaid is the largest, longest running and most successful prepaid plan in the nation with more than 1.6 million Florida Prepaid College Plans purchased and more than $6.7 billion invested in Prepaid Plans by Florida families. The 529 Savings Plan has more than 50,000 active accounts with a market value of approximately $449 million. To see how Florida Prepaid helps families, visit here.