Duane L. Ottenstroer Legacy Scholarship Essay Contest
Deadline extended! Submit your essay through 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28.
The Florida Prepaid College Foundation is hosting the Duane L. Ottenstroer Legacy Scholarship Essay Contest in St. Johns County to honor Mr. Duane L. Ottenstroer. We are proud to recognize his outstanding service to the Florida Prepaid College Board, the Florida Prepaid College Foundation and to the state of Florida.
Duane L. Ottenstroer was originally appointed to the Florida Prepaid College Board in 2001 and served as its chairman from August 2009 through September 2016. He has served on numerous corporate and community boards and continues to be active in higher education policy. Mr. Ottenstroer earned a bachelor’s degree in business from the University of Minnesota and currently resides in St. Johns County.
A student is eligible if he or she meets the following criteria:
- In grades 9-12 in a public school located within St. Johns County.
- A Florida resident with a valid Social Security number.
- Seeks to pursue a college degree.
- Essay Entry & Parental/Legal Guardian Waiver Form or online submission and authorization.
- A 500-word essay that addresses the following essay prompt:
“The value of public service: How can public service positively affect an individual and their community?”
- One letter of recommendation from an educator (teacher/principal/coach) or professional (employer/community organizer) describing why the student is worthy to receive a scholarship and how he/she stands out from his/her peers.
- A 200- to 250-word personal essay on how they have given back to their community, why the student believes he/she are deserving of the scholarship, and what his/her plans are for the future.
Additional information and resources:
- Legacy Scholarship Program Information Flyer
- Legacy Scholarship Official Rules
- Legacy Scholarship Printable Essay Entry & Parental/Legal Guardian Waiver Form
The winner will receive a 2-Year Florida College Plan scholarship provided by the Stanley G. Tate Florida Prepaid College Foundation.
Congratulations to last year’s winner, Ms. Hannah Shelton!
Ms. Shelton received a 2-Year Florida College Plan provided by the Stanley G. Tate Florida Prepaid College Foundation. Thank you to all the St. Johns County high school students who participated.
Entries must be submitted online. Emailed or faxed entries will not be accepted.
All entries must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
Thank you to Volunteer Florida for partnering with us on this program!
Thank you for participating!
The contest has ended, and the grand prize winner of a 2-Year Florida College Plan will be selected and notified soon.